East Lansing Master Bathroom Remodel
The client stopped by our showroom after being recommended by a local high-end furniture dealer. During the initial consultation with the client and his wife, it was determined that the high priority project was a much-needed remodel of their master bathroom. The busy medical professionals hated their drafty early 1990s bathroom with its miles of white tile, giant jacuzzi tub, gold fixtures, 3x4 tiny shower and annoying transom window where streaming sunlight interrupted their sleep schedules. The clients worked with Custom Built’s design team to come up with a relaxing spa-like, nature-inspired modern master bathroom.
Details of East Lansing Master Bathroom Remodel
- Initial: 1990s master bathroom with cookie-cutter white thermofoil cabinetry, white cultured marble countertops and 6x6 while matte floor tiles. An un-utilized makeup space in the vanity. Soaring two-story ceilings made the bath drafty and cold with inadequate ventilation. Clear transom window over the bathroom-to-bedroom double door brought in light at all hours of the day. 3’ x 4’ shower stall. Non-functioning jacuzzi whirlpool tub with bright brass fixtures mounted in a huge tub-deck.
- Built down the two-story ceiling height without sacrificing the light brought in by the two-story window. Insulated the surrounding spaces to retain warmth in the room.
- Plumbing Fixtures: Victoria & Albert Barcelona double-ended free-standing soaking tub installed with contemporary floormount tub filler and handshower in chrome. Shower faucetry was Kohler Purist volume and thermostat controlled shower fixtures with two ceiling-mounted rain shower heads and six Watertile body sprays. Vanity space received widespread Kohler Purist faucets and undermounted porcelain oval sinks. Coordinating stainless steel bath accessories were selected from Restoration Hardware.
- Heating: NuHeat infloor radiant heating system added to the entire bathroom floor.
- Electrical fixtures: Kichler LED Tape lighting custom fitted to the window opening. Over vanity fixtures were provided by Franklin Lighting in brushed nickel
- Cabinetry: Homecrest Sedona Maple in Java color with solid drawer fronts and flat square panel doors. Custom framed 2’ x 4’ beveled mirrors placed above each sink.
- Countertop: Silestone Quartz in Alpina White color.
- Tile work: Daltile Imagica in Haze 5 ¾” x 46-7/8” unpolished plank porcelain tiles laid in an offset pattern on the floor. Under the soaking tub and on the shower floor was placed Virginia Tile Solitude Timata Pebble for a natural look. Four wall shower niches were added for product storage.
- Installation of a routered sintra board in a specialty pattern effectively defused the light shining through the transom.